Sunday, June 29, 2008

The graduating class

So, in an attempt to blog about the end of the year (in addition to wasting time while I'm waiting for my van to pick me up at 1:30AM for my 7:30AM flight...), we approach the end of the year. And what better way to end the school year than with graduation?

Getting awards


Our 6th grade graduation was held on Friday, June 20, which happened to coincide with my final day of teaching. The day itself, in terms of my teaching, was pretty normal. My school was very low key, and I would have been really surprised if they had done anything big. No, classes went on as usual, and a few of the students gave me notes, but for the most part, it was a normal day. What was weird was, even though the students were graduating on the 20th, they still had school for another week. Anti-climatic?

Looking oh-so-happy to be junior high students.


That night, we all gathered in the gym at 6. The graduation was more a presentation of awards, as groups of students were called up to the front, and awarded certificates and gifts by the PTA. I'm pretty sure every student in the 6th grade got a prize, which I think is definitely a good thing. A lot of them were for scores on tests, or diligent studying. In between the award giving, there were performances by 6th graders, as well as some of the younger students. I received a HUGE bunch of flowers when they gave flowers to the 6th grade homeroom teachers. They passed out a rose to each student in the class, and then during a designated time, they could give them to teachers. I got two from two of the 6th grade boys.

The kindergartens graduated too!


A violin performance by some first and third graders.


I managed not to cry until the 5th graders sang a song for the 6th graders. It was sweet, because it was clear the 6th graders had learned it the year before- they were all singing along. Then the 6th graders processed out through the 5th graders. My 5th grade girls were a mess! Some of them were sobbing, and giving me hugs didn't help anything, nor did a teacher asking them to take a picture with me. I definitely feel better about letting my emotions show! The hardest part of the evening: scootering with the bouquet in between my knees...


My flower loot!

No comments: