Sunday, August 12, 2007





Day 2 of being home sick with the flu. I suppose it's better to be sick on the weekend than on the weekday when I'd miss training. Luckily, with Taiwan's many flavors of juice (think blueberry and lychee), subsiding on liquids alone isn't too bad.

On Friday we all went to see "Borne Ultimatum" - it was in English with Chinese subtitles. The theater was tiny- only about 9 rows, so it gave it a really intimate feel. Before that, a group of us went to dinner in the night market.

The night market is crazy. The vendors set up tables every night in the middle of the street for about two blocks and sell everything from watches to bags to animals.



























































Everything is really cheap, both in price and in quality, but if you need to find a beach towel or a t-shirt, this is the place to go. Come Christmas time, the night market is going to be a blessing.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

CHICKIIIIEEEEEEES!

Luke said...

Hello Katie!!

I will probably be meeting you in the next few weeks! I'm so excited to go back! My name is Luke Dodds. Levi (the guy who used to live in the room you currently inhabit) gave me the link to your blog. I've been very excited to correspond with the new group of ETAs to Taiwan. I am among the group that survived the trials and tribulations of last year's program. I also lived in Guantianxia (your apartment building), but in a different room. Several us had lots of problems in the past year (and in years prior to us, as we also met ETAs from previous programs) and we were determined to help the next group avoid them. I wish I could be there now to relive the experience of discovering Yilan. It's really a great place. But, I will be returning to Taiwan soon! I am enrolled for a year of Chinese study at National Taiwan University in Taibei and will be arriving back in Taiwan on 30 August. Levi is actually coming back too, studying Chinese at Taiwan Normal College in Taibei, due in on the 26th.

I have so many questions about the new program and am so excited to hear about how you guys are doing and also would love to help you get acquainted with Yilan. My buddy Ben (his blog "Good Dreams Come Tune") and I explored every nook and cranny of Yilan county and drove our scooters all over the Island and even around the entire coast of Taiwan. I won't leave an exhaustive comment here on your blog, but feel free to email me at luke.dodds@gmail.com and spread my email address around among the other ETAs. I'd love to get in touch with all of you. I'll probably be in Yilan within a couple days of arriving back in Taiwan. I've got to fetch my scooter and some stuff I left there at a friend's house in SiCheng (between Yilan City and Jiaoxi).

Oh yeah.. I taught in the aboriginal areas for most of the year. I taught in every elementary school in Datong Township except Nanshan, but I visited it a couple times, and I also taught for a couple months at Zhulin Elementary School in Luodong not far from your building. I look forward to hearing from you! Take care!

Luke Dodds

Unknown said...

Sad to hear you're sick with the flu, but pretty pictures!!!